Thursday, June 19, 2008

Elizabeth Bacher


Hi Jeff,
I love that you are putting this together. What a wonderful resource and a great way to catch up with long lost friends! As for the last 20 years of my life, where do I begin? Well ... here goes:

After high school I moved up to Portland where I got a Bachelor's degree in biology/psychology, and history at Lewis & Clark College. (Steve Scholz and I would meet up for coffee from time to time as he was studying at Reed College just a few miles away. Hi Steve!)

During those years I became the editor of our college's political journal which (I guess) led me to a career in journalism. I spent the next 10 years at NBC affiliates and cable news channels in Portland, Seattle, and LA working my way up as a news writer, assignment editor, and producer.

In 1999 I left TV news and moved to Chicago where I worked as a publicist for clients in the entertainment industry and for authors (scheduling national book tours and news interviews).

In 2003 I landed back in the Northwest as the Media Relations Director for a public policy firm in Seattle ... and finally realized that moving every few years really sucks - so I decided to call Seattle "home" and have stayed here ever since.

I currently work in corporate relations for Seattle's Woodland Park Zoo where I create cause marketing campaigns that support conservation, habitat preservation, and education programs. Basically I help raise money to teach kids and families why its important to protect the environment and endangered species. It's a very rewarding job and I'm really lucky to be able to do something I love!

I've also become very involved with the Northwest Parkinson's Foundation. It's a wonderful organization that provides information, support, and resources for people with Parkinson's and their families. My dad was diagnosed with the disease about 10 years ago so I started volunteering for the group when I moved to Seattle. My involvement has grown since then and I joined the group's board of directors earlier this year.

When I'm not working I love hiking with my friends and our dogs, traveling, hunting for antiques, reading, and keeping up on politics and current events. I am also a British history nut and would love to get a Master's degree ... but for now that will have to wait.

I hope everyone is doing well and I look forward to seeing more updates!

Cheers, Elizabeth

2 comments:

jhorne said...

great to see your updates as well. My husband travels to Seattle quite often. I need to come up with him and we can have coffee. We also need to take Liam to your zoo, sounds fun.
-Jennifer

Anonymous said...

Elizabeth,
Was I hallucinating, or did I see you on a TV show about a super-swell doggy daycare center?