Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Sharon Krejci Mowat, MD


My dad played golf with Sharon's dad last week, and Mr. Krejci mentioned that Sharon was a doctor. Sharon is working at Kaiser Permanente at the Walnut Creek Medical Center Department of Inpatient Pediatrics and has a web site bio that I'll share with you here. I wonder how many other grads are still in Walnut Creek? We hope to hear from her soon:

I come from a long line of physicians, starting with my grandfather. My mother and father were incredible role models as parents and as physicians planting the seed of desire to one day become a doctor. However, like all children I needed to pave my own way.

I grew up in Walnut Creek, California, and have returned home to practice pediatrics. I received my undergraduate degree in art and art history from Colgate University, Hamilton, New York. After exploring my artistic side and working in the “real world” for a year, I decided to follow my passion for medicine and return to school. I studied at Columbia University for a short time in New York City and then was accepted to Northwestern University Medical School, Chicago, Illinois. My pediatric training was completed at University of California, San Francisco where I also served an additional year as Chief Resident. Besides my role at Kaiser Permanente, I also serve as Assistant Clinical Professor at the University of California, San Francisco. I am a Fellow of the American Academy of Pediatrics.

My decision to become a pediatrician was based on a combination of helping people as well as my love of science. I was especially drawn to the preventive medicine aspect of pediatrics, leading to my passion for sports medicine and nutrition. I love educating and being educated by my patients, providing a real team-based approach to the care of children. Fortunately I found a coveted position at Kaiser Permanente where I am able to concentrate on the care of my patients and not be overwhelmed with paperwork.

Outside of work, my time is consumed with my family. My husband, Rob, and I met in San Francisco while I was in training. Rob is a landscape architect in San Francisco. Marrying Rob also came with a beautiful daughter, Danielle, who is loved by all her parents. My parents and my sister and her husband live close by, which makes family get-togethers commonplace. The rest of our family includes our three cats, Toby, Zoe and Charly, our bunny Cuddles, and our new puppy, Pepsi Cola Mowat.

My other passions include cooking, horseback riding (jumping and dressage), hiking, mountain biking, snow skiing, and pilates. Safety is important so I always wear my helmet. I expect my patients to do the same!

Travel is also very important in our lives. My husband and I are visiting all 50 states. We only have five more to go. Besides our travels in the United States, we also love going to Mexico and Europe.

No comments: