Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Rebecca Deutscher


I have really enjoyed reading about what everyone has been doing since they graduated from Northgate. Jeff, thanks so much for putting this together. It was a great idea.

After I graduated from Northgate, I went to UC Davis and majored in Psychology. After graduating from Davis, I moved down to San Diego and got my masters in Clinical Psychology at San Diego State and then received my Ph.D. in Educational Psychology with a focus on technology from Arizona State University. I met my husband, Chris, while we were both working on our doctorates. He received his doctorate in Electrical Engineering. We got married in March of 2001. After graduating from Arizona State, I worked at a company called KnowledgePlanet in Emeryville. It was a high tech dotcom company examining the impact technology had on learning. After the money ran out at that company, I worked as an educational researcher at a charter school in Apple Valley, CA. Apple Valley is a small desert community east of San Bernardino. While living there, I had my first son, Coby. Coby is now 5 years old. After a few years in Apple Valley, Chris and I decided we wanted to move back to the bay area. We moved to Menlo Park (which is where we currently live) and had our second son, Adrian. Adrian is now 2 years old. When we moved back to the bay area, I got a job as a Research Associate at the Lawrence Hall of Science museum at UC Berkeley. I currently evaluate K-12 science curriculum and spend a fair amount of time visiting schools around the bay area. I enjoy hiking, swimming, traveling, going to movies, trying new restaurants, bowling, and spending time with my husband and 2 little guys.

Do any of you remember when I won a car our freshman year? It was an old 1970’s station wagon, which was donated to the school. My parents drove me around the block in this old car. I remember several juniors and seniors offering to buy the car from me. It was thrilling to win a car especially when I couldn’t drive yet, but my parents thought it was in such bad shape that they donated back to the school ☺

No comments: