Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Lisa Dorman-Ran


Lisa Dorman-Ran is a swim coach at Twin Valley Aquatics in Sonoma. Here is her bio:

Born and raised in Walnut Creek, California I started swimming at the age of 6 with the now Walnut Creek Aquabears. What started as a fun activity to keep me safe in the family pool later turned into my passion. I was a decent age group swimmer but didn’t really excel until the age of 12 when I qualified for the Junior National Championships. At this time I really began to see how beneficial swimming was for me as a competitor in and out of the pool.

At 16 and a junior at Northgate High school, I made a move to another local team, Concord Pleasant Hill to train with Mitch Ivey. It is here that I made my mark in the swimming world, as a four time U.S. National Champion, member of several U.S. National teams, Pan Pacific champion, 1986 World Championship finalist, and consistently ranked among the top 25 in the world from 1982 until 1990.

With success in the pool I was able to receive a full scholarship to the University of Southern California. While at USC I was a four time All American, Senior Student Athlete of the year, Spirit Award winner, Pac-Ten medal winner and Team Captain. Most importantly, I met my husband Erik and achieved a BS in General Studies, focusing on early childhood education. In between swimming and school I was given the opportunity during the summers to coach with Swim America in Mission Viejo and several swim camps in Connecticut.

Upon graduation I returned to the Bay Area where I worked as a corporate trainer and was head coach of the Miramonte Gators a summer recreational team. With a team of over 250 kids we were able to become league champions two years in a row and place 2nd at the County Championships. Since my two years with the Gators I have worked with clubs in South Dakota and a brief stint with Deanza Cupertino Aquatics before my husband and I relocated to Den Haag, Holland.

We returned to the United States in November 2002 and welcomed our son Tommy into the world in February of 2003. I am very pleased that I have been able to stay home with him and enjoy all that motherhood entails. I am so excited to have the opportunity to work with Twin Valley Aquatics and look forward to meeting each of you. Together we can make this a positive experience for everyone involved.

No comments: