Thursday, July 24, 2008

Megan Smetzer Update


Good heavens, what fun that Mike Sela pointed this out to me! That is an amazing website and very clever idea, I'm glad you did it! Glad I'm not the only one who gets a bad hinkey feeling [ "hinkey"? -ed.] when thinking back to high school.

I live south of Sacramento (for 20 years now) and I have three daughters. My oldest (shown above, with Megan) is going to be a senior in high school next year. She plans to attend UC Davis and major in Art History. She will enter as a Sophomore, as she has like a 4.5, takes all AP classes and has taken like four SAT's -- I can't even understand how to read them but her counselors seem to think they are high. I feel like I should get a parent award just for getting up so freaking early on so many Saturdays. Didn't we take just one day of SAT's? She is a smarty pants that's for sure. Don't know where she got that from. Here she is at Disneyland this last spring. She works at Starbucks, texts everyone and makes us crazy like a good teenager should. She is very sweet and has inherited some of my geekdom, enough to be a fun chick to hang out with.

My dad retired a few years ago. Foothill was going to plant a tree in his honor but it's been about 10 years and we haven't seen anything yet. He and my mom travel and love to be grandparents. They are great at it!

I got married at 20, had my daughter at 23, divorced at 25. I got remarried in 1998. We have had two more daughters since then. They are now 6 and 4. I taught public elementary school (computers, science and fifth grade) for about 10 years then took off the last five to be a stay at home mom to the little girls -- actually the bigger girl actually needs me more I think. Too many boys buzzing around for my liking. In order to keep my tenure status I job-share and teach third grade one day a week. Tough life, I know. I don't know about the rest of you but I love being 40. All Grown Up and finally secure in my life.

On a funny note, I had Geri Kurpinsky's nephew in my class last year! She has two girls and lives in Georgia but her brother Jim moved here. What a fluke! I was reading my class roster and I had to ask him if he had an "Auntie Geri". When he said yes I almost fell over!

I have the following websites, including my dorky sewing podcast:

(teaching website)
(attached parenting advocacy website)
(sewing podcast)
(sewing forum I've been running for about three years)

Yea, I'm a geek. Still.

Meg

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Hinkey

Meg S. said...

I have to say thank you again for this blog. My oldest daughter has read/examined the Northgate escapades like it's an ancient biblical text and is thoroughly impressed with her mother.

Overnight I went from a somewhat boring van-driving-hippie-artist mom to someone who may have had a life before her and went to a really cool high school. I never belonged to any group really, but recall so many of these incidents great warmth. She kept saying "THAT'S so and so you told me about?" I tell her so many stories about my growing up when she's having tough times, and it's good to see we made it into our 40's pretty well preserved.

Whenever I see the Breakfast Club or Romy and Michelle I think back to Northgate and all of you. The song '1985' made me laugh so hard and she always wondered why.

Before getting ready for work today she said "Mom, I wish my high school was that cool". I told her to wait till she's 40 and it will be.

(In my case Hinkey means a really uncomfortable and embarrassed feeling)

So anyway, thanks again!

Meg